The White Mountain School recently won three—two gold and one silver—2020 InspirED School Marketers Brilliance Awards for its admissions viewbook, winter 2020 issue of Echoes, and a featured article within the latter about the School’s robotics programs. The Brilliance Awards are the only international competition that recognizes excellence in private and independent school marketing and communications exclusively and are sponsored by InspirED School Marketers, a website that provides “brilliant ideas and brain food” for private school administrators around the globe.
“I’m so glad that the team of people who produced this work will receive some recognition, particularly Luis Ruuska, our communications and marketing manager,” said Head of School John Drew. “White Mountain has good stories to tell about how we help students learn and grow, and it is essential that we tell them to help this community thrive.”
The entries were judged by a volunteer panel of 69 marketing experts from around the world who are professionals in private schools or businesses that specialize in school marketing. The entries were scored on creativity, persuasiveness, design, copy, photography, and overall appeal.
In judging White Mountain’s admissions viewbook, which received a gold award, judges said:
- “Beautifully designed and written. I was an engaged reader from cover to cover. A good viewbook sparks further curiosity about the school. After reading this piece, I certainly want to learn more about this wonderful school.”
- “Imagine you could magically teleport yourself to a far-away school and stay as long as it took you to really have a good understanding of that school’s culture, ethos, priorities, program, and outcomes. Somehow, The White Mountain School pulled off that magic with this viewbook. Through a perfect balance of philosophy and program, bold claims and ‘that’s so cool!’ examples, they managed to give me an awesome ‘visit’ experience from nine states away. As a mom, triple bonus points for the Essential Skills + Habits.”
- “White Mountain pulls off a difficult feat with this piece — putting a lot of information about its program into a piece that still feels cohesive and allows the reader to walk away with an understanding of what this school offers and why that might be different from the school down the street. There is also a balance of ‘Independent School’ language and colloquialism that conveys both rigor and accessibility. Your child will get an excellent education in an environment where people don’t take themselves too seriously, and that’s clear in this piece.”
In judging the winter 2020 issue of Echoes, the School’s magazine, which also received a gold award, judges said:
- “A really cool and different cover stood out in the crowd. Other design elements – including photos and artwork – made this a beautiful and well-designed piece. This magazine also carried a theme through the feature more than almost all of the others – this made it more readable. It didn’t feel like I was skipping from one unrelated topic to another.”
- “Gorgeous design, clever content. Especially impressive for a small school.”
- “Love the graphic cover and layout of the table of contents and sections — very eye-catching with lots of white space and original! I like the “state of the state” from admissions following the introduction of the new head — great strategy to accentuate the strength of the school. Love the use of color, illustration, and terrific photography in the spaces piece and how its focus is not just on the space, but on the student creativity and ingenuity they inspire. Great idea taking what could have been a construction story about the new dorm and turning it into a profile piece about the CFO!”
In judging the Echoes article “‘It’s Really Not About the Robots’: How White Mountain’s Robotics Programs Are Inspiring Compassion, Courage, and Curiosity,” which received a silver award, judges said:
- “Loved this story and how it shows STEAM activities like robotics have a “soft skills” side. I really appreciated the inclusion of student voices in this speech. Your opening is brilliant and I loved the descriptive imagery.”
- “Very strong intro paragraph. I loved seeing a female student in robotics as the lead photo.”
To view the complete list of 2020 InspirED Brilliance Awards winners, visit: inspiredsm.com/2020-brilliance-award-winners.
Founded in 1886 and set in the beautiful White Mountains of northern New Hampshire, The White Mountain School is a gender-inclusive, college-preparatory boarding and day school for 140 students grades 9-12/PG. Our mission is to be a school of inquiry and engagement. Grounded in an Episcopal heritage, White Mountain prepares and inspires students to lead lives of curiosity, courage, and compassion.